Built in 1914, Central School was the last building in St Marys to be constructed with local limestone.
The Building is designed in a Classical Revival style, the roofline is adorned with a large cornice and the two main entrances with Doric columns supporting massive pediments. The building, unlike almost all of its contemporary counterparts in the province, is constructed of solid limestone quarried from the local quarries and laid in the broken-coursed ashlar style by local stone masons.
The School operated for 96 years, and in 2010 was permanently closed, as a new school was built to serve the growing needs of the town.
The building is historically designated by the St Marys Historical Society, and the new Central School Manor will continue to uphold that designation by preserving the beauty of the building’s exterior.